The VCU School of Dentistry clinical service-learning program works with interested friends of the school to develop collaborative clinical service-learning sites that allow our senior dental and dental hygiene students to participate in community-based and private-practice clinical experiences. The clinical service-learning experiences provide opportunities to continue the development and integration of skills and professional judgment required of the entry-level practitioner in a real-world dental practice environment.
The clinical service-learning initiative addresses the missions of the university and school by providing an educational program that prepares competent graduates to provide quality oral health care services to the public and service to the community.
Students have the opportunity to enhance their skills in such areas as communication, practice management, patient management and professionalism. They also have the opportunity to observe the day-to-day business component of dental practice and to develop professional and community relationships that will serve as a foundation for professional learning experiences and leadership development.
Clinical service-learning sites
Click on each clinical service-learning site to learn more about that site’s program:
- Bradley Free Clinic (Roanoke, Va.)
- Charlottesville Free Clinic (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Chesapeake Care Free Clinic (Chesapeake, Va.)
- Community Dental Clinic (Martinsville, Va.)
- CrossOver Ministry Dental Clinic (Richmond, Va.)
- Federal Correctional Complex Petersburg (Petersburg, Va.)
- Free Clinic of Central Virginia (Lynchburg, Va.)
- Goochland Free Clinic and Family Services (Goochland, Va.)
- Hanover Interfaith Free Clinics at Mechanicsville Christian Center (Mechanicsville, Va.)
- Lucy Corr Village (Chesterfield, Va.)
- Northern Neck Free Health Clinic (Kilmarnock, Va.)
- Park Place Health and Dental Clinic (Norfolk, Va.)
- PATHS Community Dental Center (Danville, Va.)
- Piedmont Regional Dental Clinic (Orange, Va.)
- Southwest Virginia Regional Dental Center (Saltville, Va.)
- The Virginia Home (Richmond, Va.)